Hopi Ear Candles
What are Hopi Ear Candles?
Hopi ear candles are an ancient therapy thought to originate from the Native American Hopi Indians of North Arizona (Hopi means peaceful people). The candles are made from the natural ingredients of beeswax. The candles work on a chimney principle, drawing any impurities to the surface where they can be gently removed. They equalise the pressure in the head and ears, making them suitable for most conditions. Secretion flow is gently stimulated and the vapour collects and removes impurities or deposits. Most of these are carried away through the candle "chimney", although some of them can be found in the condensed candle wax residue after removal from the ear. They could even work their way up to the surface 24- 48 hours after treatment.
What are Hopi Ear Candles used for?
- Helps to alleviate the symptoms of nose and throat congestion
- Aids pressure regulation in cases of: sinusitis, rhinitis, headaches/migraine, glue ear, colds and flu
- Softens excessive or compacted earwax for easy removal
- Helps alleviate TMJ (jaw) pain, tinnitus/ ringing in ears
- Alleviates symptoms of hayfever
- Helps vertigo and dizziness
- Can be useful to decrease snoring
- Aids relaxation
- It is also beneficial to have a treatment before flying or deep sea diving
What happens during a treatment?
The therapist will begin by taking a full medical history. The treatment starts and finishes with a facial massage which stimulates the sinuses. You are then asked to lie comfortably on your side, the candle is then gently placed into the ear, where it is lit. It is held in a vertical position, and kept in place by the therapist. You will experience a pleasant crackling sound as the candle burns and a warm comfortable feeling. As the candle burns down, the residue ash (if it falls) will just turn to dust. The candle is then taken away while you lie there for a few moments before turning over to treat the other ear. Most clients find the whole experience very relaxing. Some fall asleep during treatment.
Side effects of Hopi Ear Candles:
You may experience a reaction when your body begins the process of healing itself and eliminating toxins. These reactions are a positive sign that the body has responded well to the treatment and is beginning to heal itself. These side effects should subside in 12-24 hours. The following reactions may occur after treatment:
- More visits to the toilet to get rid of waste and toxins
- Headaches or light headedness due to increased circulation and elimination of toxins
- Increase in mucous from nasal passages
- Changes in sleep pattern – usually improved
- Increased appetite due to increase in metabolic rate
- Feeling of fullness in ears. This may lead to a temporary reduced hearing. More treatments may be required to loosen the wax before it is expelled naturally
- Avoid water/ swimming for at least 2 days after the treatment
- Avoid cold winds and draughts if possible on the day following treatment
- Never poke the ears with cotton buds or any other instruments
- If you suffer from sinus problems reduce the intake of dairy products, as these can create excess mucous
- Avoid driving immediately after treatment if you feel excessively drowsy
- Avoid heavy meals for the next few hours
- Drink plenty of water or herbal teas
- Avoid excess tea, coffee and alcohol for the next 12 hours
- Cut down on smoking
- Make time to relax
- Have regular treatments to keep ears free from congestion