What is Aromatherapy Massage?
Aromatherapy is a holistic treatment using essential oils blended in a vegetable oil, such as grapeseed, before being applied to the skin. A number of oils can be used together, creating a blend tailored specifically for you. When used regularly aromatherapy can maintain, optimise and support good health. The aromatic effects of the oils can soothe and relax the stresses and strains of everyday life.
Essential oils are highly aromatic natural extracts taken from plants in a concentrated form. There are two main ways in which you can benefit from essential oils: either by absorbing them through your skin into the bloodstream or by inhaling them, as what you smell can have a dramatic effect on the way you feel. There are a large number of essential oils available and each has its own therapeutic properties. This means the oils can be blended to suit your individual needs and preferences.
Benefits of massage:
- Promote emotional well being
- Increases blood flow around the body, flushing out waste products and cleansing internal organs
- Improved circulation
- Improved rate of tissue repair
- Pain relief in muscles and joints
- Deep relaxation both physically and mentally
- Improved sleep
- Reduced stress, relieving physical and mental fatigue
What to expect:
The therapist will begin by taking a full medical history. You'll be given time to undress privately and lie down on the massage table, usually heated for extra comfort. You will be covered in soft towels and your therapist will uncover one little bit of you at a time depending on the area to be massaged. If you are having a facial massage the therapist will focus on your neck, shoulders, face and scalp.
Side effects of Aromatherapy Massage:
You may experience a reaction when your body begins the process of healing itself and eliminating toxins. These reactions are a positive sign that the body has responded well to the treatment and is beginning to heal itself. These side effects should subside in 12-24 hours. The following reactions may occur after treatment:
- Tiredness due to the release of toxins
- More visits to the toilet to get rid of waste and toxins
- Headaches or nausea
- Spots may occur due to released toxins
- Flare up of previously suppressed conditions
- Perspiration/ Runny nose – the body excreting waste
- Drink plenty of water or herbal teas
- Avoid tea, coffee or other caffeine products
- Cut down on smoking and alcohol for the next 24 hours
- Avoid heavy meals for the next few hours
- Avoid driving immediately after treatment if you feel excessively drowsy
- Make time to relax
- As oils have been used avoid sunbathing/ sun-bed use for 24 hours